Thursday, March 31, 2011

My Peepers.

When I moved to the farm I knew that I wanted my own free-range  flock of chickens, what I didn't know was that I would fall head over heels in love with my chickens! Yep I'm besotted! When they started laying I loved them even more, there are not many things that are more satisfying than going to the chicken coop every morning to gather free-range eggs laid by your chickie babies!
All my birds are named, none are destined for the table. They are egg laying pets. They come when I call them, most know their names and answer to them. Few will come in the house for a quick chat or to eat the ants that like to invade my kitchen. Luna and Albus will come in and sit on the bookshelf. Snape comes in to let everyone know that he is in fact the big boss, Bellatrix will come in to find Snape, she likes to keep an eye on him!
 My Leghorns, Mrs Weasley and Lavender are the shy ones but are also the best layers and when they do lay an egg they announce it to the whole neighbourhood, they make me laugh.
And then there is Luna, my love Luna, she is my favorite (don't tell the others!). She decided to sit on some eggs and now she has 5 little peepers. My goodness they are cute and she is such a good mummy. 
I know at his point of my post many of you are thinking that I might be nuts! Its OK, you my well be right! But I don't care! I love my chickens. 

Peeping out from under Luna's wing.



3 comments:

lindsey said...

Brilliant...great photo's!

Danae Hudson said...

So freaking cute. :)

Val said...

Oh what a dream!!! I love chickens too but I don't have any. I used to have goats and chickens and loved it.