Friday, July 30, 2010

All part of learning to mother African children.

When you become a mother you take on all kinds of new rolls. one of these rolls is that of hair stylist! When you have an African daughter this roll takes on a whole new meaning. Afro hair is not easy to manage or maintain, it is HIGH maintenance! Cindy's hair is so slow growing and due to this we braid it. I usually get some one else to deal with it and pay them but this time around I decided to give it a go myself. We were both a little nervous but we got there in the end and she ended up with a full head of long braids! We started on the Thursday night taking her old braids out, I kept her home from school on Friday as she had half a head of new braids and the rest was all Afro (cant send an African girl out in public with half a head of braids!) we finally finished the whole head on Saturday afternoon!! My wrists and hands were very sore but we had a great girl bonding time together. We watched movies the whole time. New Moon, You've got mail, and 3 Harry Potter movies. It was great and she looks so pretty with her new hair.

2 comments:

Tecia said...

OMG! I am inpress!! :) Great Job and she is so adorable with and without the braids, I feel your pain, I have 3 daughter and one on the way, we are always doing hair and watching movies :)

Kelly said...

You did so good Vashti! Impressive.

You adopted another child? How old is your daughter? She is a beauty. And I know she is blessed by you.

Popping in to say hello. I hope you are all well and happy.